Exploring Resiliency and Post-Traumatic Growth Using the Expressive Arts
Level Two Partner Workshop With Lindsay Dixon
Expressive Arts Therapy (EXAT) is the use of various arts such as drawing, painting, writing, sculpture, dance, music, drumming, drama, etc. for personal and collective insight, change, and healing.
“Resilience” can be described as our ability to return to balance after a time of unsteadiness, challenge, or change. Essentially, Resilience is our ability to bounce back. Yet not only can we bounce back after adversity, but we also have the ability to bounce forward, emerging new and improved. This ability is referred to as “Post-Traumatic Growth (PTG).” Further, we know that PTG is facilitated by the expression of experience and constructive self-disclosure in a safe space.
In this workshop, we will create an art-making studio space to explore the concepts of Resiliency and Post-Traumatic Growth individually and together. This workshop is intended for helping professionals who may be feeling tired, uninspired, or isolated in their work as a result of the COVID pandemic. Background or training in the arts is not necessary. Expect an immersive arts experience, “aha” moments, as well as small and large group discussions. All materials will be provided.
- Explore and deepen your understanding of “Resilience” and “Post-Traumatic Growth.”
- Learn and practice the skills of Expressive Art making.
- Gain insight into your own resilience and growth experiences.
- Practice being present and witnessing the experiences of others.
- Use different art materials and create your own unique pieces to take with you.