Supporting Clients Who Drink Beyond the Recommended Limits
Level One Core QoC Workshop
This three-part interactive and engaging workshop will enhance the skills of participants to better support clients/patients who drink beyond Canada’s Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines and/or experience alcohol dependency. This course will provide practical, applicable tools for helping professionals to employ in their work.
- To become familiar with Canada’s Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines and its functions.
- To identify the helpers and clients who may benefit from use of the guidelines.
- To learn about the development of alcohol-use issues including signs, screens, and engagement.
- To learn about the rights of people with alcohol-use issues in Ontario.
- To develop an understanding of stigma, prejudice, and discrimination in relation to people with alcohol-use issues.
- To learn to recognize countertransference, establish boundaries, and manage burn-out in relation to helping people with alcohol-use issues.
- To understand harm reduction theory and various practices with respect to alcohol use.
- To explore use of empathy and compassion to employ various interventions.
- To learn about local resources, telehealth treatment options, online resources, and other COVID-related solutions for helping people with alcohol-use issues.